The Barclay Township was formed in 1867 from the southern portion of Franklin Township. The was located township entirely in the Towanda Mountains which run through the area, Barclay Mountain being one of the prominent features of the area.
All land in the town was owned by the Towanda Coal Company and the Barclay Railroad Company. No one else owned land in the township. Barclay was disbanded in 1959 and the land went back to Franklin Township.
The township did not exists in 1858 when this map was published.